Skip to main content

Choices, chances, change


 Life is full of so many choices. There could be many "right" choices and even the "wrong" ones can be made "right" by the way you react and respond to them.
Something I have learned about my melancholy personality (based on Personality Plus by Maria Littauer) is that the melancholy personality labors over each decision. Not because we don't know what we want, but because we are afraid of making the wrong decision. Because to the "perfect" melancholy, everything should be just that: perfect.
I fully believe in living and making decisions based on faith and NOT fear. I also know that God can redeem any foolish decision we do happen to make. So that should ease my mind, right? 

I face this dilemma now because I sense that I am at a crossroads in life. For the first time in over 10 years I am completely unemployed. I have applied to various jobs and received a couple of interviews.

A note on something I have learned, but no one really told me. Two things actually 1) A college degree, a $30,000+ income does not guarantee. I've never made even very close to that in my 7 years post graduation. My highschool educated husband makes and has typically made much more than me. For which I am very grateful. 
2) The career path in which you begin upon graduation, is the foundation and building block for your future career. Had I realized this and not been so desperate to be employed ANYwhere, I might not have continued to pursue jobs in early childhood education, since that was not my intended field of choice.

However, having said all of that, I know that God has used every experience for my own personal growth. I have met a lot of amazing people and learned a lot of valuable lessons.

So now, at this aforementioned "crossroads" of my life, I find myself getting a chance at a fresh start. I am also pregnant with our first child and that flavors every decision I think about making. I don't see it as a limitation necassarily, but rather just another life to consider. My decisions hold even more significance (holy moly for the perfect melancholy! Just what we need, more pressure than we've already put on ourselves!). 
I trust that God will bring guidance and light to the situation as I diligently seek him. And whatever the outcome, whatever the choices, I will rest in his omnipotence to overcome any "wrong" choice I might make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Passion for His Passion

When I was a young girl, I used to visit my Grandparents' church in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. It was a modestly sized church, always warm and inviting. Every year they put on an Easter program that took you through the story - from the last supper all the way through Christ's death and resurrection. My Grandpa routinely played the role of a disciple and recited his one line, "Is it I?" when Jesus tells them that one of the twelve will betray him. Each time I saw him on stage, I was so proud of him. I teared up every time they performed the Ray Bolz classic, "Watch the Lamb," and the actor portraying Jesus, bloodied and stripped down to rags, carried his cross down the sanctuary aisle. These things meant something powerful to me. They reminded me of the immense sacrifice my Savior made so long ago. The mediocre but sincere acting took me back to a time and place so easily forgotten in our modern day lives. They brought me to a place of vivid remembrance

Why won't my baby eat??!! or Overcoming Breastfeeding Challenges

The first few weeks of having a newborn have got to be the hardest. No one tells you that! Now at 11 months old, things are seeming a little more manageable. Do I have it all figured out like I assumed I already did the day before she was born? Hardly. I'm sure I have more and more questions and uncertainties with each day rather than more answers. Welcome to parenthood! One of the biggest challenges so far has been breastfeeding. People told me it could be difficult, that it was painful and don't feel bad if you can't do it. I had a several things on my side that have helped me to succeed. At the top of that list is my mom. She breastfed all four of us kids and seemingly effortlessly. I saw how much she enjoyed it too and how healthy each of us has been. Also I loved to be healthy and natural and I knew this was the way God intended for babies to be fed. So it would be the very best option for my baby! Outside of these things the single thing that kept me going, e

What I Love Wednesday: Is Juice really healthy for Kids?

There are so many dos and don'ts when it comes to our health, especially the health of our children. As parents we have such a huge responsibility to feed our children a variety of healthy foods to foster a healthy lifestyle for them and a strong, growing body. So is juice one of those healthy options? I think that question is way too vague. There are so many different types of juices! Is apple juice always a healthy option? I don't think so. Even if your child gets only one glass of watered down juice? I still think there is a better option, without totally depriving your child of juice. I read a blog post that outlined an interview with a Pediatrician. She said that no juice is healthy. It's all full of sugar. In most cases, I would absolutely agree. But our juice is not just "juice". P gets one glass of watered down juice every day. We use Fruit and Veggie 2 Go twist tubes and add them to water. They're made by the Nutrilite company so I know they