Skip to main content

Baby Business

So, a little bit about this baby business of mine. A good, cheap form of birth control? Ha! Sometimes, yes. I have always loved children. I grew up the oldest of four, with my youngest siblings as young as ten and thirteen years younger. So I was quite the little mom.
I graduated from college WITH a music degree and WITHOUT any real ability to play any instrument, other than the one God gave me from birth...i.e. my voice. Not a lot to recommend me for a job in that field (note: a later post about whether or not college is a great idea for everyone).
I had oodles of experience in childcare! I easily got a job at Walnut Hill Day school, an adorable, peaceful looking place. And funnily enough, the director was really impressed by my music degree. Not that I made any real use of it there, but it was enough to set me apart and so I suppose it was useful.
I worked there for a year and a half and eventually got a Pre-K music teaching job at another local daycare! So, this music degree thing seemed to be working out after all. I did that for just about three years, but was completely exhausted physically and emotionally. For any one who has worked at a daycare center, I'm sure you will understand. If the kids don't wear you out with behavioral issus, bedwetting, squabbling, constant questions, etc, then your co-workers will. The drama can be insane! Not to mention the sometimes conflict of interests in how to discipline a child, teaching styles etc. Not the greatest situation and not much support. So, all that to say that I decided to break off and do my own thing. I had plenty of expereince and qualifications. It would be a no brainer!
That brings me to today. Since January of this year I have had Tabitha, Joshua and Tate. From about 2-3 months old on, we have spent each week day together, growing, playing and learning. Here is an overview of what we've done so far this year:

In January we did our first craft! Baby foot prints are precious. This was a time when they were still stationary enough, that I could get a good foot print with minimal effort or mess (that time has since passed!).


In February we made Valentines for moms and dads!


Also we obtained a super duper radio flyer wagon for $35 from Craigslist! Our first walks together began.


 
In March we celebrated St. Patty's day in style!


I had to include this craft in March as well. It's one of my favorite poems with related crafts for children.


Some warmer days for our walks...

April! Spring is in the air...

Happy Easter!


May, finding our toes & cutting teeth begins
Mother's Day hand towels...a semi success


The baby gate goes up! Tabitha is crawling :-)


June, first day in our baby pool
At the big pool!


Discovery of the "tree fort" out back

Visiting the sand volleyball court. Sensory time!


Welcoming summer officially


Finger puppet fun

July. Baby safe finger painting fun

Cornmeal Sensory Play


Rice sensory play

Cornstarch sidewalk paint


August, Tabitha is standing and trying to walk (like a boss), Joshua is scooting around on his belly (like a boss) and the Tater is scootchin on his booty (like a boss). They are a goofy bunch.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Passion for His Passion

When I was a young girl, I used to visit my Grandparents' church in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. It was a modestly sized church, always warm and inviting. Every year they put on an Easter program that took you through the story - from the last supper all the way through Christ's death and resurrection. My Grandpa routinely played the role of a disciple and recited his one line, "Is it I?" when Jesus tells them that one of the twelve will betray him. Each time I saw him on stage, I was so proud of him. I teared up every time they performed the Ray Bolz classic, "Watch the Lamb," and the actor portraying Jesus, bloodied and stripped down to rags, carried his cross down the sanctuary aisle. These things meant something powerful to me. They reminded me of the immense sacrifice my Savior made so long ago. The mediocre but sincere acting took me back to a time and place so easily forgotten in our modern day lives. They brought me to a place of vivid remembrance

Why won't my baby eat??!! or Overcoming Breastfeeding Challenges

The first few weeks of having a newborn have got to be the hardest. No one tells you that! Now at 11 months old, things are seeming a little more manageable. Do I have it all figured out like I assumed I already did the day before she was born? Hardly. I'm sure I have more and more questions and uncertainties with each day rather than more answers. Welcome to parenthood! One of the biggest challenges so far has been breastfeeding. People told me it could be difficult, that it was painful and don't feel bad if you can't do it. I had a several things on my side that have helped me to succeed. At the top of that list is my mom. She breastfed all four of us kids and seemingly effortlessly. I saw how much she enjoyed it too and how healthy each of us has been. Also I loved to be healthy and natural and I knew this was the way God intended for babies to be fed. So it would be the very best option for my baby! Outside of these things the single thing that kept me going, e

What I Love Wednesday: Is Juice really healthy for Kids?

There are so many dos and don'ts when it comes to our health, especially the health of our children. As parents we have such a huge responsibility to feed our children a variety of healthy foods to foster a healthy lifestyle for them and a strong, growing body. So is juice one of those healthy options? I think that question is way too vague. There are so many different types of juices! Is apple juice always a healthy option? I don't think so. Even if your child gets only one glass of watered down juice? I still think there is a better option, without totally depriving your child of juice. I read a blog post that outlined an interview with a Pediatrician. She said that no juice is healthy. It's all full of sugar. In most cases, I would absolutely agree. But our juice is not just "juice". P gets one glass of watered down juice every day. We use Fruit and Veggie 2 Go twist tubes and add them to water. They're made by the Nutrilite company so I know they